Islamic State (Isis) attacked an oil field in Libya, killing several security officials at the site, with nine workers missing.
Martin Weiss, the Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman said the attack occurred on Friday 6 March at the al-Ghani oil field, south of Sirte.
Libya's oil security forces said they had retaken control of the oil field after militants attacked the facility, killing seven guards. Nine foreign workers are unaccounted for, including one Austrian, one Czech and seven non-EU citizens.
There have not been any demands made for their return so far, according to an AP report.
A Czech national was missing after the attack, according to the Czech Foreign Ministry. Michaela Lagronova, the ministry spokeswoman said they were in contact with the family of the missing person and coordinating with Austria on the latest events.
Czech Foreign Minister Lubomir Zaorálek said that they could have been abducted. "We are examining the possibility that a kidnapping has taken place," he told Reuters.
Austrian officials said Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz was working with interior and defence ministry officials as well as the Austrian Embassy in Tunisia, which was overseeing Libyan affairs.
Austria's foreign ministry spokesman said that an Austrian national, who remains unaccounted for after the assault, was 39-years-old.
A Czech official is also said to be travelling over to Libya.
According to one official, the attack was on a site run by VAOS, an Austrian company that offers construction services to oil companies.