A customers walks into a KFC restaurant in South Los Angeles.

An Australian court has ordered fast food chain, KFC to pay $8.3m (A$ 8m, £5.1m) to the family of an Australian girl who was left brain damaged after consuming a chicken meal.

Monika Samaan fell ill after eating a Twister wrap at a KFC outlet near Sydney in 2005. She was unable to speak and severely brain damaged after salmonella poisoning and was confined to a wheel-chair.

According to the court submission, the girl was in coma for six months. Her family also fell ill including her brother and parents with vomiting and diarrhea after sharing the wrap.

The New South Wales Supreme Court ordered KFC to pay A$ 8m damages to the girl's family on the ground that KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl.

"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," the BBC has quoted George Vlahakis, the family's lawyer as saying.

"Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings. The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent," he added.

KFC expressed disappointment at the decision and said there was no evidence which indicated the KFC meal caused her medical condition.

"We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family. However, we also have a responsibility to defend KFC's reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food," the BBC quoted a company manager as saying.