Lauren Bacall has died at the age of 89 at her home in Manhattan. The screen icon starred in over 70 movies in her career, but she was also known off-screen for her sharp wit, outspokeness and fierce independence.
IBTimes UK looks at the 10 best quotes of her career;
- I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that.
- You can't always be a leading lady.
- Stardom isn't a profession, it's an accident.
- Looking at yourself in a mirror isn't exactly a study of life.
- In Hollywood, an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty percent of publicity.
- I wish Frank Sinatra would just shut up and sing.
- Find me a man who's interesting enough to have dinner with and I'll be happy.
- If there was one thing I had never been, it was mysterious, and if there was one thing I had never done, it was not talk.
- I saw Twilight - my granddaughter made me watch it, she said it was the greatest vampire film ever. After the "film" was over I wanted to smack her across her head with my shoe.
- My son tells me, 'Do you realise you are the last one? The last person who was an eyewitness to the golden age?' Young people, even in Hollywood, ask me, 'Were you really married to Humphrey Bogart?' 'Well, yes, I think I was,' I reply. You realise yourself when you start reflecting -- because I don't live in the past, although your past is so much a part of what you are -- that you can't ignore it. But I don't look at scrapbooks. I could show you some, but I'd have to climb ladders, and I can't climb.