Burglars have targeted homes in London more than any other part of England.
Research by website MoneySuperMarket.com found brazen thieves hit postcodes in the capital more than anywhere else in England in the last year.
The city has 12 of the most badly-affected areas in the country, with the most reported break-ins happening in SE24, which saw 41.8 incidents per thousand people in the last year.
Although London dominates the hitlist, the most burgled homes were in M21, which encompasses Chorlton-cum-Hardy and Barlow Moor, in Manchester, with 45.2 per thousand.
The findings were based on more than three million home insurance quotes and reveal that households in high risk areas fork out 24% more on insurance each year.
Liverpool and Birmingham were the second worst hit cities, both occupying two positions on the list.
Postcodes in Hampshire's Basingstoke are among those least likely to have made a claim, as are postcodes in Devon, the East Riding of Yorkshire and Londonderry in Northern Ireland.
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket.com, said: "Just because somewhere is named a claim hotspot it doesn't actually mean the area in question is not a nice place to live.
"Thieves often target areas with wealthy residents and desirable properties where the rewards are potentially greater, or quieter areas where they think there is less risk of being caught red-handed."
Revealed: the top 20 most burgled postcodes in England.
1. M21 - Chorlton-cum-Hardy; Barlow Moor, Manchester, 45.2
2. SE24 - Herne Hill; Tulse Hill (part), London, 41.8
3. N10 - Muswell Hill, London, 40.9
4. RM8 - Dagenham; Becontree; Becontree Heath, London, 35.9
5. N2 - East Finchley; Fortis Green; Hampstead Garden Suburb (part), London, 34.5
6. L18 - Allerton; Mossley Hill, Liverpool, 33.3
7. L22 - Waterloo, Liverpool, 32.6
8. N18 - Upper Edmonton; Edmonton (part), London, 32.3
9. UB6 - Greenford; Perivale, London, 30.9
10. SE27 - West Norwood; Gipsy Hill (part), London, 30.5
11. B73 - Boldmere; New Oscott; Wylde Green, Birmingham, 29.5
12. E8 - Hackney Central; Dalston; London Fields, London, 29.4
13. DN2 - Intake; Wheatley; Wheatley Hills, Doncaster, 28.7
14. N20 - Whetstone; Totteridge; Oakleigh Park, London, 28.0
15. E9 - Homerton; Hackney Wick; South Hackney; Hackney Marshes; Victoria Park, London, 27.8
16. N11 - New Southgate; Friern Barnet; Bounds Green; Arnos Grove (part), London, 27.7
17. N16 - Stoke Newington; Stamford Hill (part); Shacklewell; Dalston (part); Newington Green (part), London, 27.7
18. LS16 - Adel, Bramhope; Cookridge; Eccup; Far Headingley; Holt Park; Ireland Wood; Lawnswood; Moor Grange; Tinshill; Weetwood; West Park, Leeds, 27.6
19. B24 - Erdington; Tyburn, Birmingham, 27.6
20. HP10 - High Wycombe; Flackwell Heath; Handy Cross; Hedsor; Loudwater; Penn; Tylers Green; Wooburn; Wooburn Green; Wooburn Moor, Buckinghamshire, 27.3