Tube users will face disrupted journeys in October as major work to modernise the London Underground will interrupt services on the District and Piccadilly lines. The extensive Hanger Lane rail junction will be replaced, and the "rebuild involves breaking out and renewing track and signalling over nine days from Saturday 24 October to Sunday 1 November."
The District line will be closed between Ealing Broadway and Turnham Green. Hanger Lane Underground station will not be affected by the work.
The Piccadilly line will be closed between Acton Town and Uxbridge on 24, 25 and 31 October as well as 1 November. As the work is being done in two halves, the Piccadilly line will remain open during weekdays.
London Underground's (LU) Director of Capital Programmes, David Waboso said: "Our engineers and contractors will be working around the clock to replace this complex junction. I am sorry for the disruption to customers during the closure, which we will keep as short as possible.
"When the junction re-opens, it will be immediately more reliable and trains will be able to travel faster through it. District line customers will see more and more new trains over the next year, followed by a complete modernisation of the line's signalling that will radically improve journeys."
As part of LU's modernisation process, "faster, more frequent and more reliable journeys" will be brought to millions of Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan line passengers. A fleet of air-conditioned trains have been rolled out and all locomotives will be in service by the end of 2016.
London Underground said: "Work will soon begin on new signalling and control systems for the four lines, with the improvements together boosting capacity by an average of a third."
A summary of changes to transport services during the closure:
- The District line will not run between Ealing Broadway and Turnham Green. But the Central line will continue to serve Ealing Broadway every day as normal
- The Piccadilly line will run as normal on weekdays, providing alternative Tube routes from Ealing Common and Acton Town
- The Piccadilly line will close between Acton Town and Uxbridge on the weekends of 24/25 October and 31 October/1 November
- Trains will not run from Chiswick Park Underground station throughout, but it will be open to serve customers with tickets and information
- Rail replacement buses will serve Ealing Broadway, Ealing Common, Acton Town and Chiswick Park throughout the work, supplementing existing local bus routes
- LU will run 50 per cent more District line services to Richmond to serve the semi-finals and final of the Rugby World Cup on 24, 25 and 31 October