McDonald's
Anishi Spencer claimed her two-year-old son Jacquel found the discarded contraceptive on the floor in a play area at a Chicago branch.

A Chicago mother has filed a $50,000 (£33,000) lawsuit against McDonald's after one of her sons allegedly ate a used condom at one of the food giant's restaurants.

Anishi Spencer claimed her two-year-old son Jacquel found the discarded contraceptive on the floor in a play area at a Chicago branch.

She said that she saw her boy cough up the condom after swallowing it, and is seeking compensation.

The suit accuses McDonald's of negligence. It claims that bosses at the franchise failed to detect "deviant activities" on site and did not remove harmful debris from an area used by children.

"Providing a safe, clean environment is a top priority for us," said Wanda Haltek, McDonald's director of operations.

"We take these matters seriously and investigate all claims to gather the facts.

"These are just allegations and we strongly caution anyone from jumping to conclusions without having the facts.

"Because this is now a pending legal matter, it would be inappropriate for us to further comment or speculate."

In October 2012 a woman in Oklahoma sliced her tongue when she bit into a McDonald's cookie allegedly containing a razor-sharp piece of clear plastic.

Last month, a woman in China was taken to hospital after drinking detergent from a Coca-Cola cup that a clerk had left on the counter.