Wesley Sneijder's move to Manchester United is still on but the Inter Milan midfielder will have to lower his wage demands to seal a move to Old Trafford.
United have agreed a deal with the Serie A club for the Dutch international and a formal offer will be submitted this weekend, reports suggest.
Sneijder has refused to rule out a move to Manchester, earlier this week he said, "There is always a chance something will happen but we will see."
Nevertheless, any move for Sneijder is dependent on the 27-year-old lowering his £250,000-a-week wage demands. United are reluctant to pay Sneijder more than £190,000-a-week but are prepared to offer the former Real Madrid player a generous bonus package as well as the incentive of increased earnings from image rights should he move to the Premier League.
Sneijder has been heavily linked with United throughout the summer, as Ferguson struggles to identify a replacement for the retired Paul Scholes.
But Scholes has been impressed by Sneijder and believes the playmaker is his ideal successor at Old Trafford.
"Yes, Sneijder's brilliant," Scholes told MUTV. "He's been brilliant for the last year or so with Inter Milan and Holland.
"I don't think it probably worked out as well as he would have liked at Real Madrid but he's a top player. I'm sure there's a lot of clubs who will be after him if he is available."
Ferguson has secured the services of winger Antonio Valencia for another four years after the Ecuadorian signed a new contract that ties him to Old Trafford until 2015.
The 25-year-old made a successful return to the first-team last season after five months out with an ankle injury and the United manager was delighted to finalise the new deal.
"Antonio has made a fantastic contribution since his arrival," the Scot said.
"His speed, crossing ability and versatility have been a big asset for us. He has a quiet, unassuming way of going about his business, which is underlined by great strength of character - as his recovery from such a bad injury last season proves."
Nevertheless, Ferguson has refused to rule out a bid for Arsenal's Samir Nasri, according to reports.
The France international has been linked with a move away from the Emirates all summer, with reports today suggesting Manchester City are prepared to make a £22m offer for the midfielder this week.
But Nasri is believed to favour a move to United after discussions over a new Arsenal contract broke down in May.
Talking to French broadcasters TF1's Telefoot last month, the midfielder said: "Do I want to go to Man United? Initially, we should see if it's real and if it is concrete.
"I don't know if I will sign a new contract. Anyway, the discussions are on-going. For the moment, I don't think about this."
Meanwhile, Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has been linked with a move to Old Trafford after the fiery midfielder's recent outburst on Twitter led the Magpies to hand him a free transfer.
Barton has been an outspoken critic of the Newcastle board all summer and it appears the club have finally run out of patience with the 28-year-old.
A club statement read: "Newcastle United can confirm that Joey Barton has been placed on the transfer list today [Monday].
"The player has been advised he can leave the club on a free transfer."