Wesley Sneijder has revealed "unofficial talks" have taken place over the Inter Milan midfielder's proposed move to Manchester United.
Sneijder, 27, has been linked with a move to Old Trafford throughout the summer and, although both clubs have denied negotiations have taken place, the Dutch international suggested over the weekend his club needed the money.
Questioned over speculation of a move to Manchester, Sneijder said:
"Yes, but nobody has called officially. Maybe there have been unofficial talks.
"The situation is that I am an inter Milan player, but there's a chance that I will leave. If something crosses my path, I have enough time to take a decision about it.
"It is down to the club. If a good bid comes in, they have to let me go. They don't want to lose me but there's a chance they will."
Sneijder had been due to play for Netherlands against England at Wembley on Wednesday before the game was cancelled after riots engulfed London for a third night.
But international teammate Rafael van der Vaart believes the 27-year-old has the temperament to cope with life in the Premier League.
"Of course he would like to play in England," he told Sky Sports News.
"It's the biggest league in the world. He is a good friend of mine and we have contact almost every day. He knows what to expect in the Premier League."
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has repeatedly denied reports linking Sneijder with United. Earlier in July, Ferguson told reporters he had "no real interest" in signing the Dutch playmaker.
Ferguson remains confident the current squad is strong enough to compete domestically and in Europe.
Speaking to reporters after United's 3-2 victory over rivals Manchester City in the Community Shield on Sunday, Ferguson said:
"It just confirms what I thought about the squad. People have been saying we are not the best United squad but we have a lot of young players, who will improve.
"We brought [Tom] Cleverly back from [a loan spell at] Wigan. We brought [Danny] Welbeck back and [Mame Biram] Diouf. These boys are good players and the addition of [Phil] Jones and [David] De Gea gives us a good future."
Meanwhile, Mario Gotze insists he will remain at Borussia Dortmund next season, despite speculation linking him with a move to United.
Gotze, 19, enjoyed a stand-out season in the Bundesliga last season, scoring six goals in 33 appearances.
But the winger ruled out a move to the Premier League in an interview with Bild.
"Everything works here," he said. "We have a very good coach [Jurgen Klopp], a team with sensational prospects and we all understand each other.
"Also, I have my family, what more could I want? I know some players who have played abroad. It was not always easy for them. For me that would definitely be too early."