Radamel Falcao
Radamel Falcao has only scored four Premier League goals this season.Getty

Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev has revealed he met with Manchester United officials on 19 April but the Premier League giants are yet to make a decision on the future of Radamel Falcao.

The Colombia international moved to Old Trafford on transfer deadline day in the summer of 2014 after United agreed a loan deal with Monaco with the option of making the move permanent at the end of the season.

According to reports, United paid around £6m ($9m) for the one-season loan and will need to invest an extra £44m should they decide to take the former Atletico Madrid striker on permanently.

Falcao had failed so far to make the impact expected in manager Louis van Gaal's side, so it looks uncertain that the Premier League giant will pay such a lucrative amount for this services. But Vasilyev claims United are yet to make a final decision.

"I saw Manchester United leaders last Sunday and they have not yet decided if they will exercise the option [to sign Falcao] on permanent basis," Vasilyev told French daily newspaper Nice-Matin.

Falcao has only scored four goals for United since his arrival but, after being left out of the starting line-up for eight consecutive Premier League games, he returned to Van Gaal's starting line-up during the 1-0 defeat against Chelsea on 18 April.

Vasilyev admitted the Colombian star is struggling to replicate his best form but still can prove his worth in the last five games of the campaign.

"He is not having his best season but they retain the opportunity to make a final decision at the end of the current season," Vasilyev said. "We are not involved in any further negotiations for the moment, even if big clubs are interested. The decision is in Manchester. Then we will talk with the player to find out what he wants."

And even if United decided against signing Falcao on a permanent basis, Vasilyev suggests his future does not remain at Monaco.

Asked why Falcao forced his loan move, the club vice-president said: "He had mishaps in Monaco. He had problems with the coach, there was a misunderstanding and he was also seriously injured and missed the World Cup. In late August, he came to tell us that he wanted to play at a higher level.

"He estimated it would take longer than expected for Monaco to become a great team and he does not want to wait."