Miss USA 2016 crowned the winner on 5 June, Miss District of Columbia Deshauna Barber. The 26-year-old beauty pageant queen competed with 52 other talented women to win the top spot in the coveted event. Crowned by 2015 winner Olivia Jordan, Barber edged past against Miss Hawaii Chelsea Hardian (runner-up) and Miss Georgia Emanii Davis (second runner-up) to win the crown.
Described as one of the most disciplined contestants of the year, the new Miss USA wowed the judges with an applaud-worthy answer during the Q&A round. "We are just as tough as men," she said responding to the judges' question about Pentagon opening up combat jobs for women.
After winning the Miss USA crown, Barber will now be representing the country in the prestigious Miss Universe competition. IBTimes UK has compiled some top facts about the new beauty queen.
- As Barber was announced the winner of the beauty pageant, she became the first Miss District of Columbia in the last 14 years to walk home with the title.
- The beauty queen is a commander in the US Army and is currently working as an IT analyst for US Department of Commerce.
- Georgia-born Barber hails from a family of army officers, and was employed at the young age of 17. Owing to her father's military career, she had to relocate multiple times before finally landing up in Washington DC.
- She has a Bachelor's degree in Business Management from the Virginia State University and dedicated her Miss USA platform to treatment of PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) in soldiers returning from deployments.
- Apart from being a passionate military personnel and a disciplined contestant, Barber enjoys dancing, hiking, and spending quality time with her family, according to her Miss USA bio.