Mo Farah has spoken at an emotional news conference to address controversial allegations made against Alberto Salazar, confirming he has not yet cut ties with his coach but that he intends to do so if such claims are proved to be correct.
Following a BBC Panorama documentary broadcast on 3 June, Salazar, who leads the famed Nike Oregon Project in the US, has been accused of violating anti-doping rules amid claims that 2012 Olympic silver medallist Galen Rupp has previously taken the banned performance enhancer testosterone.
Both Salazar and Rupp have strenuously denied the allegations, while there have been no suggestions of any wrongdoing on behalf of Farah.
"I'm not leaving Alberto, for the reason I've not seen any clear evidence," Farah said of Salazar as reported by The Guardian.
"I spoke to Alberto [on Friday night], I got on the phone and said to him, 'Alberto, what's going on?' and he said, 'Mo, I can prove this to you it's just allegations, I'll show you some evidence', and I said, 'OK'.
"I'm really angry at this situation. It's not fair, it's not right. I haven't done anything but my name's getting dragged through the mud. It's something not in my control but I want to know answers. I need to know what's going on – if these things are true, if they're not true. If they turn out to be true, and Alberto has crossed the line, I'm the first person to leave him."
Farah said he has not yet spoken to training partner Rupp, but claimed his American stablemate has questions to answer while bemoaning the damage the whole saga was inflicting upon his own personal reputation.
"Alberto is the only person I have spoken to. I have not spoken to Galen but he needs to answer some questions," he added.
"I'm a clean athlete, against drugs and anyone who isn't should be banned for life. I want to know the answers and the easiest thing to do would be to jump. The headline is 'Mo coach' and it's not fair on my family, kids. I want the memories, the 75,000 people cheering for me at the Olympics. They should know."
Earlier on 6 June, UK Athletics confirmed they had no concerns in relation to Salazar's work with Farah but claimed to acknowledge 'the gravity of the allegations'.
"Following the broadcast of BBC's Panorama programme on Wednesday, UK Athletics has carefully considered the content," a statement read.
"Whilst acknowledging the gravity of the allegations, UK Athletics can confirm it has had absolutely no concerns over the conduct and coaching methods of Alberto Salazar in relation to Mo Farah or in his role as an endurance consultant.
"As an organisation with a proven anti-doping commitment, we view the allegations made in regard of non-British athletes who have been coached by Alberto Salazar with utmost seriousness.
"It is the role of the appropriate independent anti-doping agencies to investigate these further. We repeat our call for them to do so at the earliest opportunity, and to share those findings so that we can take any appropriate actions.
"With regard to British athletes we believe that the process/safeguards and systems that we have in place around our own athletes are appropriate.
"Within UK Athletics, the Corporate Governance responsibility for our performance programme, overseeing these systems and reporting back to the board, rests with the Performance Oversight Management Group, comprising Jason Gardener MBE, Dr Sarah Rowell and Anne Wafula-Strike.
"Following the Panorama programme the board of UK Athletics has met and tasked this group with undertaking a focussed review of the performance management system surrounding Mo Farah and the Endurance programme, engaging relevant independent experts where required. This review will begin immediately.
"The board has also spoken to Neil Black and Mo Farah and informed them of this course of action, which both have welcomed and supported."
Farah returns to action at the Sainsbury's Birmingham Grand Prix on 7 June.