Team Suzuki Ecstar's Aleix Espargaro surprised everyone by taking his first MotoGP pole position at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona on Saturday, 13 June. Teammate Maverick Vinales came in second to give the Suzuki team their first qualifying 1-2 since the 1993 Spanish Grand Prix.
Where to Watch Live
Live coverage of the race starts at 1pm BST on BT Sport 2 and BT Sport 2 HD. Real-time internet updates are available on MotoGP's official website.
It was a result very few expected following the end of Q2, when Aleix Espargaro took pole ahead of his teammate Maverick Vinales for Team Suzuki Ecstar. The duo have been quick all weekend, but it was expected that the Yamaha's and Honda's will match their pace come qualifying. But they clearly made use of the advantage of having the soft compound tyres to lock out the top two places.
Jorge Lorenzo will occupy the final place on the front row, and will be the rider to look out for after he set the track alight with his race simulation runs during the free practice sessions.
Defending champion Marc Marquez has been having a good weekend compared to the one in Mugello, and looks like Jorge's closest challenger for the race win.
Top 10 Qualifying Result from the Circuit de Catalunya:
1. Aleix Espargaro (ESP) Suzuki 1.40'546
2. Maverick Viñales (ESP) Suzuki 1.40'629
3. Jorge Lorenzo (ESP) Yamaha 1.40'646
4. Marc Marquez (ESP) Honda 1.40'754
5. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati 1.40'907
6. Dani Pedrosa (ESP) Honda 1.40'928
7. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Yamaha 1.41'058
8. Bradley Smith (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha 1.41'068
9. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) LCR Honda 1.41'195
10. Yonny Hernandez (COL) Pramac Ducati 1.41'333