Nine time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) secured his first victory of the season at his home track in San Marino.
The Italian legend took advantage of the Championship leader Marc Marquez's crash earlier in the race to get his first Moto GP win since June 2014, when he won at Assen.
Meanwhile, Spanish duo Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa completed the podium by finishing second and third respectively.
Rossi had qualified third on the grid but quickly took the lead of the race and battled with young Spaniard Marquez during the early races.
However, the leader of the championship lost the control of his motorbike on the 10th lap, when in second place, and went down. The Spaniard then managed to restart but finished in a disappointing 15th place with a solitary point, reducing his overall lead from 89 points to 74.
Rossi expressed his happiness after the race for securing the 107th victory of his career near his home town of Tavullia.
"I had a good start to the race and battled with Marc and Jorge [Lorenzo]. I knew Marc wanted to stay in front. After I saw the board and understood that he had crashed or something it was a little easier as I already had a small advantage over Jorge," Rossi said.
"It has been five years since my last victory here, a similar race too, it's like a time machine."
San Marino MotoGP result:
- Valentino Rossi (Ita), Yamaha, 44'14.586secs
- Jorge Lorenzo (Spa), Yamaha, +1.578
- Dani Pedrosa (Spa), Honda, +4.276
- Andrea Dovizioso (Ita), Ducati, +5.510
- Andrea Iannone (Ita), Ducati, +11.771
- Pol Espargaro (Spa), Yamaha, +18.999
- Bradley Smith (GB), Yamaha, +23.100
- Alvaro Bautista (Spa), Honda, +36.458
- Cal Crutchlow (GB), Ducati, +38.480
- Yonny Hernandez (Col), Ducati, +45.878