Motorola just announced the availability of the latest Android Marshmallow upgrade for a couple of its Moto series phones. These include Moto X Style and second generation Moto X. The first markets to get the Android treatment are Brazil and India, with other regions to get it over the next few weeks.
David Schuster, Motorola's senior director of Software Product Management has mentioned that the company has also started the Marshmallow approval process for Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen), and it will be pushed out in the next few weeks.
The deployment of the update will take place in phases; therefore it will not be available for download in all regions. Once the update is available for your Moto X Style and Moto X, you should receive a notification about when you will be able to update. Installing the new firmware, you should be able to experience the following changes:
- A new Memory Manager that lets you check the memory usage of all your installed apps
- Greatly improved volume controls
- Addition of the do not disturb button to the quick settings panel for easy access
- System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks
- Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key
- Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state which saves your battery
- App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state
- Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but cannot be used by other devices
- RAM manager in settings allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
- Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
- Text selection has been improved
How to install
When you receive a notification for this update do the following steps, but note that you should be connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Select 'Yes, I'm in'
- Once the software download completes, select Install now
- After the installation, your phone will re-start automatically
In case you missed the notification message, do the following steps to manually update:
- Go to Settings
- Select About phone
- Select System updates
- Select Yes, I'm in. When the software is downloaded, select Install now
Upon updating successful, your phone will re-start automatically. Head over to Motorola support site to know more about the additional changes and features.