While the LTE variant of the Galaxy Note 3 is not receiving software updates from Samsung, incremental update with fixes is available for the 3G version (SM-N900).
Recently a new stock firmware has been released for the 3G variant, powered by Exynos 5 octa-core, which bumps build number of the device to N900XXUENG1. The update is based on Android 4.4.2 and available for several Asian countries including India. Besides, the firmware is live for users in Russia.
Model name: Galaxy Note 3
Version: Android 4.4.4
Build date: 8 July
Product code: SER
Those wish to update their Galaxy Note 3 with the new N900XXUENG1 stock build, may follow our installation guide below. The aforementioned build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any unlocked SM-N900 unit, regardless of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap.
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then back up data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation is in progress, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S5 should have above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- N900XXUENG1 Android 4.4.2 stock firmware works only with 3G version of Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy Note by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install N900XXUENG1 Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off the Galaxy Note 3
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together. Also ensure that you have installed USB Drivers installed on the computer
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy Note 3 to your computer using the USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click the AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy Note 3 should now be updated with the latest official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new firmware version of the device.