Everton play hosts Newcastle United in the two teams' final game of the season. Although, the Toffees have nothing to lose in this match they will certainty put up a strong fight against the Magpies, who have a good chance of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League next season.
Everton's only objective, ahead of this match, will be to finish above their Merseyside rivals Liverpool, who are currently in the eighth position just a point behind the Toffees. In spite of having absolute no chance of making it to the Europa League, Everton have had a pretty decent overall campaign this season. Also, Everton, who have scored an impressive 13 goals in their last five games, are unbeaten in their last eight games.
On the other hand, Newcastle, who have been the most in-form side of late, will be keen on getting a win in this game as they are in a very good position to qualify for the Champions League next season. If somehow Tottenham and Arsenal manage to lose their final games against Fulham and West Bromwich Albion then the Magpies will end in the third position (provided they win their final game) in the Premier League, giving them a direct ticket to the European competition next season.
The match will be available live on FOXSoccer.tv in the US.
Everton will be without the services of midfielder Jack Rodwell and striker Victor Anichebe who are suffering from hamstring and groin injuries respectively.
Also, Everton boss David Moyes has reportedly suspended Royston Drenthe (on loan from Real Madrid) following some disciplinary issues.
The good news for the Toffees is that defender Leighton Baines is making a comeback after being out of action for almost a month following a groin injury. Also, the Toffees will be delighted by the return of their skipper Phil Neville and midfielder Darron Gibson, who both missed out Everton's goalless draw against the already relegated Wolves.
Newcastle, on the other hand, will be missing defender Danny Simpson, who has been ruled out for the past two games due to an ankle injury. Striker Leon Best will also be missing out on the Magpies final game of the season due to some thigh problems.
The Magpies will also be without the services of long-term absentees Sammy Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands and Steven Taylor.
- Everton are currently in their best form of the season as they have not registered a loss in their last eight games.
- David Moyes' men and Arsenal are the only two Premier League teams to have seventeen different goal scorers this season.
- Apart from Manchester United and Manchester City, Everton have conceded the fewest goals (39) in the Premier League this season.
- Newcastle are the only side in the Premier League who are yet to score an own goal this season.
- Papiss Cisse, who has been the main reason behind the Magpies recent success, has scored 13 goals in 13 games for Newcastle since his arrival in the January transfer period.
- Demba Ba, who is the Magpies top scorer (16 goals) this season, has been unable to score in a League game that he started alongside Cisse.
Everton: Howard; Hibbert, Distin, Jagielka, Baines; Osman, Fellaini, Gibson, Pienaar; Cahill; Jelavic.
Newcastle: Krul; Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ben Arfa, Cissé, Ba.