Newcastle United will be pleased to hear the latest comments from Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy who has made it clear that he wants to leave the club before the transfer window ends.
The France international is a long-term target for Newcastle, and manager Alan Pardew has been holding talks with Lille for some time as he attempts to secure a deal.
However, the offers from Newcastle have so far been rejected by the Ligue 1 side who have refused to negotiate and seemingly refuse to allow the right-back to leave.
"I have decided that Mathieu Debuchy will remain at LOSC," Lille president Michel Seydoux told L'Equipe, as reported on the BBC earlier this month. "The offer is definitely not at the value of the player."
The 26-year-old has only ever played for Lille having come through the academy and gone on to become a first team regular for the past seven seasons.
He was a member of the squad that won the league title two seasons ago and he is known to be close friends with his France, and former Lille, teammate Yohan Cabaye.
The Newcastle midfielder earlier this summer suggested that Debuchy wanted to join him at St. James Park and it seems as though he does still want to leave Lille this summer.
"I don't want to talk about my future," Debuchy told Canal+, as reported on Talksport. "I heard what the chairman said. The transfer window is open until September 4 (in France). I still want to go. We will see."
Newcastle have struggled to complete deals in the summer transfer window and go into their first fixture of the season against Tottenham with just two new low key additions in Romain Amalfitano and Gael Bigirimana.
Meanwhile Tottenham, who finished one place above them last season, have made two significant additions to their squad in Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jan Vertonghen who could both feature in the first game of the new Premier League season.