The Android 4.4.4 OTA download links are now available for Google's fourth generation Nexus smartphone and the 10in Nexus tablet.
Unlike the previous Android 4.4.3 update, which comes with build number KTU84M for Nexus 5 and KTU84L for other Nexus devices, the new Android 4.4.4 firmware has build number KTU84P for the entire Nexus lineup. Those who have not received the OTA notification, navigate to Settings>> About phone>> System updates >> Check now.
The latest KitKat software update brings security fixes. Like the changelog, most of the fixes are for the newly discovered OpenSSL bug, fixes for some bug in logging and security and tweaks to CTS (Compatibility Test Suite). Head over here to know more about the changelog for Android 4.4.4 KTU84P.
Nexus 5 is one among other lucky Nexus devices to receive Android 4.4.4 update. Now the OTA download links have been captured for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, courtesy of Android Geeks.
Those who wish to manually update their Nexus 4/Nexus 10 with Android 4.4.4 KTU84P OTA firmware may follow the step-by-step guide.
- Before installing stock OTA update, ensure that you have backed up all data of the tablet.
- Install USB Drivers from here.
- Install Android SDK on the computer [Click here for a guide how to set it up.]
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet. Navigate to Settings>> Developer options and tick USB Debugging option.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, Nexus device should have charge above 80% battery charge.
- Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat OTA update works only with Nexus 4 or, Nexus 10. As flashing these on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus devices by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and install firmware accordingly.
- The device should be running stock Android 4.4.3 KitKat firmware.
How to install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat OTA update KitKat on Nexus 4 and Nexus 10
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.4 KTU84P KitKat OTA update for Nexus 4/Nexus 10 to the computer
Step-2: Copy the download OTA zip in the platform-tools folder in Android SDK directory
Step-3: Launch a command window inside the platform-tools folder. At an empty space in the folder, press Shift and right-click using the mouse. Select Open Command prompt here option
Step-4: Connect Nexus device to the computer using USB cable. Type in the following command and press Enter
adb reboot bootloader signed-occam-KTU84P-from-KTU84L.50b64331.zip (Nexus 4)
adb reboot bootloader signed-mantaray-KTU84P-from-KTU84L.a2a9bb9b.zip (Nexus 10)
Step-5: The phone should now boot into Bootloader mode. Use the Volume keys, navigate to Recovery mode and select it using Power button
Step-6: When the Android icon with red exclamation mark appears, press and hold the Power button followed by Volume Up
Step-7: The Nexus device should now boot into Recovery mode
Step-8: Using Volume Down button scroll down to apply update from ADB option and press the Power button to select it
Step-9: Launch the command window again and type in the following command followed by the name of the OTA package
Step-10: The OTA update installation should begin now
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, select reboot system now option from main recovery menu to reboot the phone
The Nexus 4/Nexus 10 should now be updated with Android 4.4.4 KTU84P stock firmware. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the Nexus device.