Neymar
Neymar scored four times against Rayo Vallecano on 17 OctoberGetty

Barcelona star Neymar has urged supporters to "relax" amid his ongoing contract negotiations with the club following interest from Manchester United.

In the final weeks of the summer transfer window it was reported by Globo Esporte that the Premier League side made Barcelona an astronomical offer of £140m ($217m) for the Brazil international. The reports were widely met with scepticism, but Neymar admitted in September that had been "conversations" about a possible move.

Neymar's father and agent further fuelled talk of a failed bid when he told Brazilian radio station Boa Tarde Fox Barcelona did in fact receive an offer, but made it clear they did not want to sell.

The 23-year-old has not been fazed by that speculation, marking his impressive start to the season with an exquisite four-goal haul against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday night. After the victory, the former Santos starlet again stressed there was no reason to panic over his future at the club.

"The renewal is under way. I still have years left on my contract," Neymar was quoted as saying by Sport. "I am going to sign, the fans can relax. Yes, [the match against Rayo] was an historic night which I am going to savour for all my life. I want to congratulate the team for producing a great performance."

Barcelona have been in contract talks with Neymar throughout the early stages of the season and remain confident of tying the player down to a deal that will keep him at the club for the rest of his career.

The club's director of football Roberto Fernandez recently told Marca: "We are currently working on Neymar's contract extension and I don't think there will be any type of problem. I have no doubt in my mind that Neymar will spend the rest of his life at Barcelona.

"We will reach an agreement with him sooner or later, this season if possible. He has what it takes to win the Ballon d'Or. He is the second best player in the world after Messi."