Jose Mourinho hopes to get the services of Paul Pogba before the start of the new Premier League may suffer a new blow after Massimiliano Allegri has revealed that the French midfielder is expected to return to the Juventus training sessions on Monday (8 August). Yet, the Italian manager has refused to speak about a potential replacement for the 23-year old, insisting he still belongs to the Serie A champions.
Reports in England earlier this week suggested that United were on the verge to complete the signing of the Frenchman in a deal worth around £100m, with some even claiming that the announcement could be official before the Community Shield final against Leicester City on Sunday.
Jose Mourinho added more fuel to the speculation on Friday after claiming that he would like to have his squad finalised before the start of the new Premier League on 14 August, adding that United are expected to get a "very good midfield player".
"I don't like to speak about other players. Other managers like to do that. What matters to me is only what happens in my house, not the house of my neighbour," said Mourinho. "Pogba is a Juventus player until officially he isn't. It stays like this. I think my club is trying to do everything to close our market before August 14. So hopefully by next week, we will have our squad closed. That squad includes another new big signing. We have 22 now, and we are going to have 23."
But Allegri has suggested that Pogba's move to United will not be as imminent as the player is expected to return to the Juventus training on Monday following a holiday in the USA.
"I've summoned Pogba together with [Patrice] Evra [to report for preseason duty] tomorrow night, so that means he has training here in Vinovo on Monday," the boss said during a press conference, as quoted by Tutto Sport. "It makes no sense at the moment talking about potential replacements for Pogba because, right now, Pogba is a Juventus player."