Oscar winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead in his Manhattan apartment after an apparent drugs overdose.
The 46-year-old star was reportedly discovered at his apartment "with a needle in his arm".
The father of three was found in his bathroom on Sunday (2 February) morning, on the 4th floor of his West Village Apartment, surrounded by bags of heroin.
Hoffman, won the Academy Award for Best actor for the 2005 film, Capote.
The news of his death comes just one day after representatives for the actor issued a statement denying he was dead, after an internet hoax claimed the star had passed away on Saturday.
Hoffman had in the past admitted to struggling with drug addiction and had checked himself into rehab in May last year for heroin abuse after 23 years of being clean.
In May, Hoffman told TMZ in May that he began taking heroin again, but claimed he only used the drug for one week before he realized he needed help and checked himself into a detox facility, where he spent 10 days receiving treatment.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is to determine exact cause of death - but law enforcement sources told the New York that a drug overdose is the cause of death.
He is survived by partner, Mimi O'Donnell, and their three children, daughters Tallulah and Willa and son Cooper.
Hoffman's family have released a statement following his tragic passing saying: "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."