Photos show members of the Iraqi Special Operations Forces engaged in firefights with militants from the al-Qaeda-linked Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) in the city of Ramadi.
Government forces and allied tribal militiamen have been trying since late December to dislodge militants from Ramadi and nearby Fallujah.
Much of the city is in ruins after months of shelling by Iraqi government troops.
- Iraq Crisis: British Isis Jihadis Pledge to Take War to Jordan and Lebanon
- Iraq Isis Crisis: Gunship Kills Innocent Woman after Mistaking Police for Jihadists
- Iraq Isis Crisis: Shiite Leaders Scramble to Replace Nouri al-Maliki as PM
- Iraq Isis Crisis: Obama to Send 300 Military Advisers to Bolster Baghdad
- Iraq Crisis: Thousands of Shiite Volunteers Join Army to Fight Isis