Google has released the Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) update, as an over-the-air (OTA) transfer for the Galaxy Nexus I9250. The software update is built on the JOP40D base firmware and brings a fix for the missing December bug issue.
Users who have already installed the update can follow this tutorial to root devices. This root method also installs ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery. In addition, the root method uses CWM Recovery as a custom recovery and Superuser as the rooting package.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during the process. This tutorial is compatible only with the Galaxy Nexus I9250 running official Android 4.2.1 JOP40D firmware.
- Ensure download USB drivers for Galaxy Nexus
- Ensure back-up of important data (in case a custom recovery CWM/TWRP is installed, create backup for same)
- Ensure battery carries above 80 percent charge
- Ensure Bootloader is unlocked
- Ensure Nandroid back-up of previous set-up before proceeding
To Root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) Jelly Bean and Install CWM Recovery
- Enable USB debugging mode
- Download Fastboot and extract to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
- Note: Skip above steps if already present and completed
- Download SuperSU v0.98 (CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip) for Galaxy Nexus to computer
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip to SD card on phone
- Disconnect device from computer and switch off
- Download CWM 184.108.40.206 (recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-maguro.img) and save to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on computer
- Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode (to do so, press Volume Down and Power buttons until text appears on screen; this is Bootloader Mode)
- Browse to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift+Right Click > Open Command Prompt)
- Now type below command and press Enter
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-magu
- After action, choose Recovery from Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode
- In CWM Recovery, scroll to Flash Zip from SD Card and select using Power
- Press Power again and select Choose Zip from SD Card
- Browse to CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip using Volume buttons and press Power to select and confirm installation of zip file
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first boot may take five minutes)
The Galaxy Nexus (I9250) should now be rooted on Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D). This can be checked by running the SuperSU app in the app list. To ensure above root method is installed and working correctly, verify with theRoot Checker.
[Source: Team Android]