Samsung has recently released the Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA Jelly Bean update for the Wi-Fi version of Galaxy Note 10.1 with model number N8010. The firmware is completely unbranded and is available via Over-The-Air (OTA) as well as Samsung Kies.
Galaxy Note users who have already updated their device using the latest software version and wish to root their devices in order to install custom builds, may follow the guide below for rooting. The method uses CF-Auto-Root file,released by XDA developer Chainfire, to root the device. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
1) Download and install USB rivers for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 on the computer.
2) Enable USB debugging mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and tap on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging is turned on.]
3) Back up all the important data of the device.
4) The Note should have more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) Rooting will void manufacturer's warranty.
6) The root package used in the guide is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010; flashing this on any other firmware is likely to brick the device.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 on Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA5 Jelly Bean
1) Download CF-Auto-Root file for Galaxy Note 10.1 on the computer and extract the zip file
2) Download Odin v3.07
3) Switch off the Note. Enter Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while turning on the phone
4) Open Odin on the computer
5) Plug in the USB cable to the tablet to connect it with the computer while it is in the Download mode. Once the device is connected successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow
6) In Odin click the PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-p4notewifiww-p4notewifixx-gtn8010.zip file which is extracted in step-1
7) Ensure that Auto Reboot and F.Reset options are selected in Odin window. Also verify the Re-Partition option is selected in case a .pit file is being used
8) Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin to begin installation. This step will take some time, so be patient
9) Once the installation process is completed, the device will automatically restart
10) Disconnect the Note from the computer. And then switch the device off again after it turns on completely and boots to home screen
11) Place the tablet in recovery mode by while turning it on by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
12) In recovery mode perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/ Factory reset. Once the action is completed, select 'Reboot System now' to reboot the device
The Wi-Fi Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 running on official Android 4.1.2 XXUCMA5 Jelly Bean firmware is now successfully rooted. To ensure the root method is installed correctly and is working properly, verify with Root Checker app available at Google Play Store.