Samsung recently released the Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) software update for the flagship Galaxy S3 smartphone. And the South Koreans have now released the Premium Suite upgrade - Android 4.1.2 with base firmware XXELL4 - for UK users. The upgrade includes features like multi-windows, the Paper Artist app, the Group Cast app, smart rotation and several other features.
Galaxy S3 users who have already updated to official Android 4.1.2 firmware and now want to root their device may follow this guide. The rooting package, developed by XDA developer Chainfire uses the CF-Auto-Root package and is applicable for version of the Jelly Bean operating system. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during this process. We also warn readers this guide is for the Galaxy S3 (I9300) only.
- Ensure download of appropriate USB drivers for the Galaxy S3 and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure device is factory unlocked
- Ensure back-up of all data
- Ensure battery carries at least 80 percent charge
To Root Samsung Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
- Download CF-Auto-Root package to computer (alternate link)
- Download Odin v3.07
- Disconnect device from computer, if connected, and switch it off
- Re-start in Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power until the construction Android robot and triangle appear and then press Power to enter Download mode
- Start Odin, connect device to computer (a successful connection is indicated by an ID:COM box appearing in yellow, with the COM port number; this may take some time)
- In Odin, click PDA and select CF-Auto-Root file
- Click Start to begin installation
- After installation, device will automatically re-start (disconnect from computer only after Home screen appears)
The Samsung Galaxy S3, running official Android 4.1.2 firmware, has now been successfully rooted. To ensure the above root method has been installed and is working properly, verify with the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]