We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung has begun rolling out the Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) update for the international version of the Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300). The Jelly Bean software, with base firmware XXELKC, is available in Poland and is expected to reach other parts of the world soon. Samsung has added a number of new features in this build.
- Android version: 4.1.2-Build JZO54K
- Country: Poland
- PDA: I9300XXELKC
- CSC: I9300OXXELK4
- Modem: I9300XXELKC
The Android 4.1.2 XXELKC firmware - which can be installed via OTA or Samsung Kies - is compatible with a number of European countries, including the UK. Galaxy S3 users who have already updated to the new build may follow this guide to root the device.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during installation. The tutorial uses the CF-Auto-Root package to root the device and the root package is compatible only with a Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) running Android 4.1.2 XXELKC (Jelly Bean).
- Download USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and enable USB debugging mode
- Ensure back-up of all important data before proceeding
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked
- Ensure the device is running Android 4.1.2 XXELKC (Jelly Bean)
- Ensue battery has at least 80 percent of charge
To Root Galaxy S3 (I9300) on Android 4.1.2 XXELKC (Jelly Bean)
- Download CF-Auto-Root package to computer and extract zip file
- Download Odin v3.07 and extract file
- Switch off Galaxy S3 and place in Download mode (to do so, press Volume Down, Home and Power buttons until warning screen appears and then press Volume Down to enter Download mode)
- Open Odin on computer
- Connect Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable (successful connection indicated by message reading - Added - and a COM port lighting up in yellow)
- Click PDA in Odin and select CF-Auto-Root-mo-moxx-gti9300.tar.md5
- Click Start in Odin to begin installation process
- A successful installation will be confirmed by a message from Odin reading - Pass - in a box with a green background. The phone will then automatically reboot. Disconnect device only when Samsung logo appears on screen
The Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) running Android 4.1.2 XXELKC (Jelly Bean) official firmware is now rooted and apps requiring root permission may now be installed. To ensure the root method is successfully installed and working properly, verify with the Root Checker available at the Google Play Store.
[Source: Android Jinn]