Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official update with base firmware XXUEMJ5 has been released for the Exynos 5 variant of Galaxy S4 with model number GT-I9500. The official build is live through Samsung Kies server as well as OTA update. It integrates several improvements and optimisations and makes the device faster.
Click here for our step-by-step guide to install XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S4 I9500.
Galaxy S4 users, who have updated their devices to the latest build and currently looking for a root method, may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses CF-Auto-Root file released by renowned XDA developer, Chainfire.
CF-Auto-Root, as the developer notes, is the quickest and easiest root method available so far. It is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares. The root package has SuperSU binary and APK and stock recovery installed. Head over to the development thread to know more about the root package.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users area also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, backup data using the recovery. Click here for our step-by-step guide to install CWM recovery on Galaxy S4.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the handset later.
7) The CF-Auto-Root file works only on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. As applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 on XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download CF-Auto-Root file for Galaxy S4 to computer
File name: CF-Auto-Root-ja3g-ja3gxx-gti9500.zip
Step-2: Extract the downloaded root zip using Winzip, 7zip, winrar or any other extracting tool to get CF-Auto-Root-ja3g-ja3gxx-gti9500.tar.md5 file it
Step-3: Download Odin3_v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy S4 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears. Now press the Volume Up button to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then reinstall USB driver.
Step-8: In Odin, click the PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-ja3g-ja3gxx-gti9500.tar.md5 file
Step-9: Ensure Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically and install the root package. The ID: COM box in Odin will then turn green. Once the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
The Galaxy S4 I9500 running on XXUEMJ5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware should now be rooted successfully. Open the app drawer of the phone and check for SuperSU app. To verify the root method is installed and working properly, install Root Checker app available at Google Play Sore.
Sometimes the device does not boot into Recovery Mode and root the device. If this happens then perform the tutorial again. In case the phone is still not rooted, ensure in Odin Auto Reboot is checkbox is not selected. Then after flashing the root package, pull out the battery and boot the phone into Recovery mode by selecting Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. This will start the install process.
[Source: Team Android]