We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung recently released the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. The South Koreans have now released an update for the Wi-Fi-compatible international variant of the Tab 2 10.1 (GT-P5110) that originally shipped with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)).
The Android update, with base firmware XXCLK7, is available in the UK and is expected to reach other regions soon. Users can get the update either as an over-the-air (OTA) transfer or through Samsung Kies.
Galaxy Tab users who have already updated to Android 4.1.1 XXCLK7 may follow this tutorial to root their devices. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during installation. In addition, users are advised this guide is only for the Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5110).
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded and USB debugging mode
- Ensure back-up of all important data
- Ensure tablet is factory unlocked
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
- Remember this guide only roots the device. Users must install a custom recovery in order to flash custom ROMs
To Root Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5110) on Android 4.1.1 XXCLK7
- Download CF-Auto-Root package and extract .zip file
- Download Odin v3.07 and extract file
- Switch off tablet and re-start in Download mode (to do so, press Volume Down and Power buttons till a warning message appears on screen. The press Volume Down to enter Download mode)
- Start Odin in computer and connect device with USB cable (a successful connection is indicated with a message from Odin saying - Added - and a COM port will flash in yellow)
- In Odin, click the PDA tab and select CF-Auto-Root-espresso10wifixx-gtp5110.tar.md5
- Click Start to begin flashing process
- After installation, a message from Odin saying - Pass - in a box with a green background should appear. The tablet will now reboot automatically and remember to unplug device only after Samsung logo appears
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi; P5110) running Android 4.1.1 XXCLK7 (Jelly Bean) is now rooted. To ensure the root method is installed and working properly, verify with the Root Checker app available for Download from the Google Play Store for free.
[Source: Android Jinn]