Samsung has begun pushing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update with base firmware XXMC8 for the international version of Galaxy Ace 2 with model number I8160, which was first shipped with Gingerbread software.
The Jelly Bean update is rolling out in phases and is expected to reach other regions soon. The update can be installed through Samsung KIES as well as via Over-The-Air (OTA).
Android version: 4.1.2 - Build JZO54K
Build date: 26 March, 2013
Supported regions: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and UK
The XXMC8 Jelly Bean is a branded version of firmware to T-Mobile, therefore, users might get some extra language packs and carrier app with the installation.
Galaxy Ace 2 users who failed to install the update following the official methods, may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Additionally, users are advised to ensure that their device meets the below-mentioned requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 in order to connect the phone to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode to connect the phone with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Before proceeding, backup all data of the phone. If the device is having a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP installed, then backup the data using the same as it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up.
4) Ensure that the battery of the phone has more than 80 per cent charge.
5) The Galaxy Ace 2 should be factory unlocked and should not be locked to a particular carrier.
6) The Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean firmware is only for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the model number of the device. Installing this update on any other variant will brick the device.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160
1) Download Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMC8 Jelly Bean firmware for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer. Then extract the zip file
2) Download Odin v1.85 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware
3) Now turn off the Galaxy Ace 2 and put the device into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Home buttons together then press the Power button until the Download Mode arrives on the screen
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while the phone is in Download Mode. When the phone is connected successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step will take some time
6) Select these files extracted from the I8160XXMC8 folder in the mentioned order to install on the phone
a) Click on 'PDA' and select file with 'CODE' in its name
b) Click on 'Phone' and select file with 'MODEM' in its name
c) Click on 'CSC' and select file with 'CSC' in its name
d) Click on 'PIT' and select the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the last three steps in case such files are not found.]
7) Ensure the 'Auto Reboot' and 'F Reset Time' options are selected in Odin. Also verify that the 'Re-partition' option is selected in case a .pit file is being used
8) Double check everything and finally click the 'Start' button in Odin. The installation should now begin and would take about five minutes to complete
9) Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 should be now updated and running on official Android 4.1.2 XXMC8 Jelly Bean firmware. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
Click here for guide to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Ace 2
[Source: Team Android]