Samsung's Galaxy S has been able to run on Android Eclair, Gingerbread, Honecomb and Ice Cream Sandwich operating systems. This time, Galaxy S owners can get their hands on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) unofficially with X-Bean ROM, thanks to efforts of developers at XDA forum. XDA member XYunknown has released X-Bean ROM for the Galaxy S which is said to be fast, stable and superfunctional. Prior to this, Galaxy S has tasted the Rem-ICS ROM that features Galaxy S3 like user interface, sounds and wallpapers.
The X-Bean ROM reportedly features CyanogenMod (CM10) option in Settings, Stock theme, Nexus bootanimation, Gapps and more. It is expected to be "extreme fast and rock-solid".
Check out the steps below on how to install X-Bean ROM on Samsung Galaxy S i9000, courtesy The Android Soul.
Pre-requisites: Please keep in mind that the method is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S i9000. To check for the device's model number you can head to Settings > About phone.
IBTimes UK advises users to proceed at their own risk and will not be held responsible for any consequences. The procedure will wipe out all your data. Please remember to make a backup of all data including APN settings.
Please note if your Galaxy S is running on Android 4.0 ICS or even a Jelly Bean ROM then you need not perform steps 2 and 3. You can directly skip to step 4 after step 1.
- Remove SIM card lock if set already by heading to Settings > Location and Security > Sim card lock > clear checkbox
- Flash stock XXJW4 firmware
- Root XXJW4 to get CWM recovery
- Download the new ROM from here
- Copy downloaded file to internal SDcard
- Turn off your device and boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Home buttons while powering on the device. Release the button after the screen turns on
- Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then select "Yes" to confirm wiping
- Select Install Zip from SDcard and then select choose zip from SDcard. Scroll to ROM file and select it
- Confirm the installation by selecting "Yes". ROM will begin installing
- In the middle of installation the phone will reboot and only then continue installing ROM. If the device will simply reboot then repeat steps 8 and 9
- After installing, choose go back and then choose reboot system now in order to reboot your device into X-Bean ROM
X-Bean ROM based on Jelly Bean is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S i9000. To get more details on X-Bean ROM and its installation you can visit the official thread at xda-developers forum.