We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
An official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) firmware - XWLPU - is now available for the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S2, according to Team Android. An official Over the Air (OTA) update - XWLPM - has already been released, as has an unofficial I9100XWLPO update. The update reportedly enhances device security and enables faster overall performance.
Users looking to update may follow the below instructions. However, IBTimes UK advises its readers to back-up all important data and APN settings before proceeding. You are also advised to install USB drivers (Samsung Kies) (ensure USB debugging mode - click here for a tutorial) for the Galaxy S2 and ensure the phone is factory and unlocked and has at least 80 percent battery charge. This firmware and the instructions below are compatible only with the Galaxy S2.
Steps to Install Android 4.0.4 XWLPU ICS for Galaxy S2 i9100
- Download Android 4.0.4 XWLPU (file weighs 389.3MB) and extract tar.md5
- Download Odin v1.85 and extract contents
- Turn Galaxy S2 to Download Mode (simultaneously press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons until warning screen pops and then press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
- Connect Galaxy S2 to computer using USB cable and run Odin on the computer
- In Odin, select these files in the order mentioned
- Click on PDA and select file CODE
- Click on Phone and select file MODEM
- Click on CSC and select file CSC
- Click on PIT and select .pit file
- Note: You may ignore these if you do not see the listing
- Start installation process (this could take a few minutes)
- After flashing, the Galaxy S2 will automatically restart and you may then unplug device from computer
Congratulations... the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running Android 4.0.4 XWLPU. You can check the software installed on your phone by navigating to Menu > Settings > About Phone.