We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Based on the huge popularity of the original Samsung Galaxy S2, the South Korean tech major introduced an upgraded version of the device, named Galaxy S2 Plus, in January this year. Unlike the Galaxy S2 which was launched with Android Gingerbread version, the Galaxy S2 Plus was shipped with Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) and features TouchWiz user interface v5.0.
Galaxy S2 Plus users can now root their device using our step-by-step guide below. Rooting will enable users to remove factory restrictions as well as gain access to the internal system of the device. Users will also be able to change default settings, remove inbuilt programmes and can also install custom builds. However, it should be noted that to gain root, the device should have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
Galaxy S2 Plus users who wish to root their devices and install CWM Recovery, may follow the guide. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices before proceeding since the tutorials below work only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus on the computer.
2) Ensure that the USB Debugging Mode is enabled. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create backup of all data of the device.
4) The battery of the Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
6) Rooting the phone will void manufacturer's warranty. Users can regain the warranty by unrooting the device later.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105
1) Download CWM Recover file for Galaxy S2 Plus to the computer. Then extract the recovery zip file
2) Download Odin v3.07
3) Reboot the Galaxy S2 Plus in to the Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Once the device is connected successfully, a message saying 'Added' will be display in Odin and also the ID: COM section should turn yellow or blue
6) In Odin, click on PDA and then select the CWM Recovery file from the computer
7) Verify that the 'Auto Reboot' and F Reset Time options are selected in Odin. And the 'Repartition' option must be unchecked
8) Click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation
9) Once the installation process is completed, a PASS message will appear. Unplug the USB cable safely and reboot the phone
The CWM Recovery is now installed on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105.
1) If Odin gets stuck, then close the programme, unplug the USB cable and then reinstall the drivers on the computer. Force restart the phone and repeat the tutorial from the beginning.
2) If boot loop occurs after installing CWM Recovery, then enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and from there select 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition.' Then select 'reboot system now' to reboot the phone.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105
1) Download Superuser file for Galaxy S2 Plus to the computer
2) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Then transfer the Superuser zip file to the SD card of the phone
3) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn the device off
4) Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the recovery mode menu appears
5) In the CWM Recovery mode select 'install zip from sdcard' then select 'choose zip from sdcard.' Now locate the Superuser zip file which is saved on the SD card. Select it and confirm installation
6) After the installation process is completed select "+++++Go Back+++++" and then reboot the phone by selecting 'reboot system now' from the recovery menu
[Note: In case boot loop occurs, then reboot the phone into recovery mode again. In recovery mode, select 'wipe data/factory reset' then select 'wipe cache partition' and afterward reboot the device.]
Once the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 boots up successfully, it should be rooted with CWM Recovery installed on the device.
[Source: Android Geeks]