Samsung's flagship smartphone - the Samsung Galaxy S3 - was launched with Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)) and soon after Samsung rolled out the first Over The Air (OTA) updates. Now, uSwitch reports the South Koreans have released a new firmware update for the S3, which offers a number of tweaks, fixes and enhancements. T-Mobile UK users should be the first to receive the update, while Sammobile reports Three and Orange have also started rolling out the update.
The new firmware is Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB. Users who have not received the update automatically can run a manual check by navigating to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone. Check here for a full list of enhancements, as listed by XDA Developers. Notable ones include improvements in the camera app, voice recognition programmes, new widgets, an enhanced lock screen and brighter notifications.
Users looking to do a manual update can refer to the below instructions to install the Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB update on their Galaxy S3 smartphones. IBTimes UK recommends you create a back-up of important apps and data as well as APN settings.
How to Install Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB for Galaxy S3
- Download and install Samsung Kies - 32 bit (x86) Windows, 64-bit (x64) Windows
- Download firmware (file name I9300XXBLFB_I9300OXABLFB_BTU.zip)
- Extract downloaded file and identify I9300XXBLFB_ I9300OXABLFB_ I9300XXLFB_HOME.tar.md5
- Download Odin PC software (Odin3 v3.04) and extract contents
- Turn off the Galaxy S3 and put device in Download Mode. (Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons until screen turns on. Then press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
- Open Odin by double-clicking v3.04.exe
- Connect Galaxy S3 to PC. You will get the message ADDED in Odin's message box
- Click on PDA button in Odin and select file I9300XXBLFB_ I9300OXABLFB_ I9300XXLFB_HOME.tar.md5
- Click Start to install firmware. When complete, you will get a PASS message. The phone will reboot and when a Samsung logo appears, you may unplug cable
Note: If Odin gets stuck or if you get a FAIL message, disconnect the phone from the PC, close Odin, remove and re-insert battery before restarting in Download Mode. Then follow procedures from Step 6.
Congratulations... the Galaxy S3 has been updated to the latest Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB software.