The official Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 has finally been released and the first users to access the update are those in Poland (also compatible with a number of other European countries, including the United Kingdom). Updates for other countries are expected to follow shortly. The file is for the Galaxy S3 (I9300), the international model and the file is Android 4.1.1.
PDA - I9300XXDLIB
CSC - I9300OXFDLI1
Modem - I9300XXDLIB
This software update is to bring better integration with and functioning of Project Butter, re-worked Settings menu, two Home screen modes, a new Notifications bar, Google Now and a re-sizable Pop-up Play screen. The good news is the file can be installed via Odin, without either rooting or using ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery.
Galaxy S3 owners looking to update to Android 4.1.1 may follow these steps. IBTimes UK warns its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to device during installation. Users are advised to install USB drivers for the Galaxy S3 and enable USB debugging mode. Ensure also that all important data, including APN settings, is backed up and there is at least 80 percent charge in the battery. Finally, ensure the model number of your device is I9300.
To install Android 4.1.1 XXDLIB for Galaxy S3 I9300
- Download Android 4.1.1 XXDLIB to computer and extract file
- Download Odin v1.85
- Turn device off and place in Download Mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power until construction Android robot and triangle appears and then press Power to enter Download Mode)
- Start Odin on computer and connect Galaxy S3 to computer while device is in Download Mode
- Select these files in the order mentioned
- Click on PDA and select CODE
- Click on Phone and select MODEM
- Click on CSC and select CSC
- Click on PIT and select .pit
- Note: Ignore final three if such files are not found
- Start installation in Odin. This should take a few minutes
- After installation the device will restart. Unplug device when Home screen appears and turn device off again
- Start device in CWM Recovery (to do so press Volume Up, Home and Power buttons to start device)
- In main Recovery menu, select Wipe Data / Factory Reset to perform complete data wipe
- Then select Reboot System from Recovery menu and wait for device to reboot into Android 4.1.1
The Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now running Android 4.1.1 XXDLIB Jelly Bean. This may be verified by navigating to Settings > About Phone.