We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung recently rolled out a security patch (XXELLA Jelly Bean) for Galaxy S3 users in the UK. The update fixes a bug found in the Exynos processor used in the device. The company has now released another official update - Android 4.1 2 (base firmware XXELL6) - for the Galaxy S3 (I9300).
The firmware, originally released for users in Romania, is compatible with a number of European countries, including the UK. The Jelly Bean firmware is available as an Over-The-Air (OTA) update and through Samsung Kies.
- PDA: I9300XXELL6
- CES: I9300OXFELL1
- Version: Android 4.1.2
- Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Galaxy S3 users looking to update manually may follow this guide. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. This firmware is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) and flashing this on other variants may brick the device. In addition, users are advised to ensure the device meets the requirements outlined below.
- Ensure download and installation of appropriate USB drivers on the computer
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled (to do so, navigate through Menu > Settings > Applications > Development Option and ensure debugging option is selected)
- Ensure data back-up
- Ensure 80 percent battery charge
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked
To Install Android 4.1.2 XXELL6 on Galaxy S3 (I9300)
- Download Android 4.1.2 XXELL6 firmware to computer. Extract contents of zip file and identify a file with the .tar extension
- Download Odin v3.07 and extract contents
- Switch device off and re-start in Download mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power till Samsung logo appears on screen)
- Run Odin on computer and connect device using USB cable (a successful connection is indicated by a message - Added - and a COM port turning yellow with a port number displayed)
- In Odin, select these files (to be found in the XXELL6 folder) in the order mentioned
- Click PDA button select .tar file with Code in its name
- Click Phone and select file with Modem in its name
- Click CSC and select file with CSC in its name
- Click PIT button and select .pit file
- Note: Ignore last three steps if such files are not found
- In Odin, ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected
- In Odin, click Start to begin installation process
- After installation, a message - Pass - will appear in the Odin window, against a green background. The device will then automatically reboot. Unplug device only after Samsung logo appears
- Note: If Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation after installation, boot into Recovery and perform a data wipe (to do so, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes) and then select Reboot System Now
The Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) should be now running Android 4.1.2 XXELL6 (Jelly Bean) official firmware. Navigate to Settings > About Phone to verify software version on device.
[Source: Android Jinn]