Last week, Samsung had released Android 4.4.2 KitKat software upgrade for the international variant of Galaxy Note 8.0 (3G+Wi-Fi) with model number GT-N5100. Now a similar software is available for the Wi-Fi variant bearing model number GT-N5110.
The KitKat update with build number N5110XXDNE1 is currently live for Note 8.0 users in the UK and it is expected to reach across other regions soon.
The update should include all the features and improvements that were part of Android KitKat such as faster performance, white status bar icons, improved battery life, full-screen album art on lock screen and wireless printing support. Below are the firmware details for N5110XXDNE1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Model name: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
Country: United Kingdom
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Product Code: BTU
The update is available both via Over-The-Air and through Kies server. Those who failed to get the OTA notification, head over to Settings>> About>> Software updates to manually fetch the KitKat firmware.
Users who cannot wait for the update to reach their region and wish to install the same, may follow our step-by-step manual installation guide using Odin flashing tool.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify theur devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on tablet to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>>Developer Options to enable USB Debugging.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the Galaxy Note, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM or, TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy Note should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, the custom recovery will be replaced by stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) N5110XXDNE1 Android 4.4 2 KitKat works only with Wi-Fi Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Note 8.0 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install N5110XXDNE1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy Note 8.0 (GT-N5110)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any extracting tool to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with few other optional files
Step-2: Extract Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.09.exe and some other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy Note 8.0 and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-4: Reboot the Galaxy Note into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together
Step-5: Run Odin on computer as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect Note 8.0 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the tablet is connected an Added message will appear in Odin. If the message does not appear then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case that too does not work then re-install USB driver.
You should also see one of the ID: COM boxes in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number
Step-7: Click on AP button and select the .tar.md5 file which was extracted in step-1
Step-8: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. Uncheck Re-Partition option
Step-9: Double check everything and click Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the tablet will restart automatically and soon you should see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the top of Odin. When the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable safely from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
N5110XXDNE1 Android 4.4.2 stock firmware should now be installed on Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi variant. Navigate to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new software version.
How to fix bootloop issue
After flashing the firmware, if the Galaxy Note 8.0 gets stuck at boot animation or bootloop (after step-10), place the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. Now reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Note that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.