The Saudi Arabia-led coalition fighting Yemeni rebels has said it will "immediately investigate" air strikes in the capital of Sana'a on Saturday. The attack, which targeted the funeral for the father of the Houthi-run government's Interior Minister Jalal al-Roweishan, leading the group to allege the coalition was responsible.

However, the coalition has since released a statement denying any involvement and pledging to work with experts to investigate the "regrettable and painful bombing".

It said: "The coalition will immediately investigate this case along with the Joint Incidents Assessment Team in Yemen and experts from the United States who participated in previous investigations."

With the US simultaneously reviewing its support for the coalition and the United Nations condemning the attack as "horrific," the coalition was quick to defend itself.

It said: "The coalition confirms that its troops have clear instructions not to target populated areas and to avoid civilians."

On Sunday, The Guardian reported the attack had been claimed by Islamic State (Isis). Any IS (Daesh) involvement has been called into question, however, since Isis has no access to aircraft, which is believed to have been the source of the attack.

The attack, which took place on Saturday, is said to have resulted in mass civilian casualties as well as funeral guests from the Houthi military and security services which are fighting against Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. Hadi's presidency, which is internationally recognised, is also backed by the Saudi-led coalition.

No definitive number of casualties have yet been confirmed, however, rescuers described devastation at the scene of Saturday's attacks. The International Committee of the Red Cross said in a statement that it had provided 300 body bags so far.

"The place has been turned into a lake of blood," said Murad Tawfiq who had been part of the rescue team.

Yemen funeral
The site of an airstrike which witnesses said was by Saudi-led coalition aircraft on mourners at a hall where a wake for the father o fJalal al-Roweishan, the interior minister in the Houthi-dominated Yemeni government, was being held.Reuters/Khaled Abdullah