Son Heung-Min
Son edging closer to Premier League switchGetty

Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu believes his teammate Son Heung-Min has been badly advised over his proposed move to Tottenham Hotspur. Rudi Voller, Leverkusen sporting director, confirmed on Wednesday that Son, 24 had undergone a medical with the Premier League side.

The Evening Standard also claimed Spurs were on the brink of sealing a £22m move for the South Korea international, despite Voller warning that nothing was set in stone just yet. Son is now expected to arrive at White Hart Lane to replace Erik Lamela, who is in talks with Inter Milan over a return to Serie A, according to the forward's agent and father who spoke to Gazzetta della Sport this week.

Son missed his side's Champions League play-off victory against Lazio – due to illness rather than his imminent transfer – with Leverkusen confirming their place in the group stages of the competition. After the match, Calhanoglu, who opened the scoring for his side on Wednesday, admitted he had tried to contact Son only to receive no reply from his teammate, expressing his disappointment over his imminent departure.

"We were then informed what is going on," 21-year-old Calhanoglu told journalists, ESPN reported. "It is a bit disappointing. I tried to reach him but I could not get hold of him. The whole team is disappointed, but it is not his fault – he is a good lad. I believe that he has been badly advised."

Voller told Sky Germany before the match on Wednesday: "There is a request and there are talks, but nothing is done. Son would not have played today anyway -- he was sick at the weekend already. At this moment he is our player."

Son, who has in the past been linked with both Liverpool and Manchester United, is a versatile forward who mainly operates on the left but is equally comfortable in a number of positions behind the main striker. Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino also remains on the lookout for another striker to ease the burden on Harry Kane. So far the club have seen two offers for Saido Berahino rejected, with the Baggies also rejecting the England Under-21 international's s written transfer request.