Sony is far from releasing the Android 5.0 Lollipop updates for its flagship Xperia devices, while industrious custom Android developers have already unleashed the first Android 5.0.2 update via CynogenMod 12 Nightly ROM for the Xperia V (aka tsubasa).
Newcomers to Android should note that the CyanogenMod ROMs are based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which is designed for increased performance and reliability over stock Android ROMs released by OEMs and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, Sprint and HTC.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into the latest Android 5.0.2 CM12 Nightly ROM are listed below:
- Based on the latest CyanogenMod 12 sources
- Compiled with SaberMod 4.8 toolchain and O3 flags for maximum performance
- Full F2FS support - no mount issues during ROM updates
- Enabled Dex-Pre-optimisation for faster boot time
- SELinux set to 'permissive' by default
- Android default UID and GID for internal storage
(No more write issues after formatting sdcard!)
- Slim and fast user build
Avid Android users who wish to enjoy stock-like experience with enhanced functionality and Lollipop features such as quick notification access and improved gestures can go ahead and install the latest CM12 Nightly ROM on their Xperia V, using the step-by-step guide provided below (courtesy: XDA Developers senior member, WhiteNeo).
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions provided in this guide are limited to the Sony Xperia V (aka tsubasa) handset and will not work with any other model. Verify your device model from Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure your device has at least 80% battery charge to avoid inadvertent shutdown during the installation process.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers (download here) are installed for the device on the computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone from Settings > Developer Options.
Steps to update Xperia V (tsubasa) with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 5.0.2 CM12 ROM and Google Apps for your device on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your phone's USB mass storage on the computer via USB cable.
Step 3 – Copy the downloaded CM12 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your device's SD card and then disconnect the device from computer.
Step 4 - Power off your device.
Step 5 - Now boot into Recovery Mode: Power on the device while tapping Volume Up or Volume Down buttons a few times when the LED light turns pink or any other colour on your phone.
Step 6 - Once in CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/factory reset option. Use Power button to select options and Volume buttons to navigate up or down inRecovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8 - Perform a dalvik cache wipe to prevent boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to 'advanced' and then select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery screen and select "install zip from SD card".
Step 10 - Now select choose zip from sdcard. Use volume keys to go to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your SD card and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
Google Apps: Repeat the previous step to install Gapps on your phone.
Step 11 - Once the installation is over, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu as show below.
Your Xperia V will reboot and it might take about five minutes for the first boot to complete. So, please do not interrupt the process.
Your device should now be running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via newly installed CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the ROM installed.