Sony's Xperia Z is a high-end smartphone competitor for the likes of Samsung's Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. If you want to push the smartphone to its limits, you can overclock it by removing default factory settings and restrictions.
Before customising the software and overclocking the phone's processor, you should clean up the device's bloatware. This will remove memory bottlenecks that might hinder performance.
The presence of bloatware (unwanted apps and services) coupled with factory restrictions can slow down your phone and reduce its battery-life.
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to enhance speed, improve battery-life and boost the performance of your phone, courtesy of Android Geeks.
Key Points to Note
- Ensure that your phone is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP installed on it.
- Rooting and overclocking your device (beyond specified limits) will void the warranty. Restore the phone to stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware or install the latest official firmware to reclaim hardware warranty.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during mandatory wipe process.
- Uninstall all security apps and tools running on your phone to prevent conflicts while installing custom kernel or overclocking the device.
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during custom kernel installation or overclocking.
How to Install Custom Kernel on Sony Xperia Z
- Download the custom kernel for Xperia Z here
- Without extracting, save the file to computer desktop
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable
- Copy and paste the downloaded kernel zip file to the root folder of your phone
- Power off the device and wait for the vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) until the device completely shuts down.
- Now reboot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button simultaneously until the screen flashes.
- In recovery, perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition. Now wait until the process completes, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache from Advance option.
- Return to main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card. Then select Choose Zip from SD card. Browse to the kernel zip file which you copied earlier to the phone and flash it.
- Once the installation is complete, return to main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now.
How to Overclock Sony Xperia Z for Optimum Speed and Performance
- Navigate to Google Play icon on your phone and tap on it.
- Ensure that the phone is connected to internet and enter search keyword "No-frills CPU Control" on Google Play Search to find the app.
- Download the app and install it on the phone.
- Launch the app and enable "set on boot" option.
- Choose to increase the CPU frequency in the range of 10 to 20% via dropdown menu. Avoid pushing the limit any higher, as this may cause irreparable damage to the device and void its warranty.
- Set the new CPU frequency and close the app.
- Reboot the phone for the changes to take effect and you will instantly notice a considerable speed or performance boost to your phone. On the contrary, you can decrease the CPU frequency by 10 to 20% to boost the phone's battery-life and compromise on speed.
Overclocking and downclocking your Xperia Z is now possible at the click of a button. It is also possible to enhance the interface and performance further with the latest custom ROM upgrade.
[Source: Android Geeks]