South Sudan
Displaced residents wait at a World Food Program (WFP) in South SudanReuters/Denis Dumo

The South Sudanese army has tortured, raped and burnt alive dozens of girls during a major offensive as the country's civil war continues to claim lives.

A report by the UN mission Unmiss in South Sudan warned that the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) committed human rights abuses in Unity state's northern Mayom district.

Witnesses and survivors said that the SPLA and allied militias carried out a campaign against the local community by killing civilians and looting villages. As a result, more than 100,000 people have been displaced.

"Some of the most disturbing allegations compiled by Unmiss human rights officers focused on the abduction and sexual abuse of women and girls, some of whom were reportedly burnt alive in their dwellings," the UN said.

The report followed Amnesty's warning that the government's army pepetrated violence and thousands of people had been fleeing to the UN base in Bentiu after fighting in Unity state increased.

Earlier in June, president Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar held five-hour- talks in Kenya to find a solution to the conflict as rebel forces recaptured oil hub Malakal.

South Sudan conflict in numbers

Four million people at risk of famine

$1.8bn (£1.4bn, €1.6bn) needed to assist conflict victims and refugees

1.1 million – 1.5 million people displaced

10,000 - 50,000 people killed since December 2013.

Kenya's president Uhuru Kenyatta said on Monday (29 June): "At our meetings this weekend, we identified and isolated further the most important issues for both sides. We have discussed these extensively and, with the direct talks, both president Kiir and former vice-president Machar understand each other's concerns and reservations."

The South Sudan conflict erupted in December 2013 when Kiir, from the Dinka ethnic group, accused then vice-president Machar of plotting to overthrow the regime.

The accusations sparked violence in the country, where factions loyal to Kiir and Machar engaged in tit-for-tat violence.

At least four million people are also at risk of a man-made famine, due to lack of funds and widespread fighting which has stopped volunteers reaching certain areas.

As the civil war entered its second year in December 2014, human rights activists warned the conflict was far from over and the country has experienced a "colossal loss of life".

At the beginning of February 2015, warring sides agreed on a partial ceasefire with Kiir warning that crucial issues regarding the conflict had not yet been addressed.

Reports also warned that both sides recruited child soldiers as young as 13 to use in combat.

US Threatens Sanctions on Those Blocking Peace Deal in South SudanIBTimes UK