Spanish police have launched a fresh manhunt for Younes Abouyaaqoub, the Moroccan national named in the Spanish media as the fourth suspect in the Barcelona van attack. He is believed to be the driver of the white Fiat van that killed 14 people as it mowed down pedestrians on Las Ramblas on Thursday (17 August) evening.
Earlier, police said that the suspected driver was Moussa Oukabir, 17, who was among the five terror suspects shot dead by police after a foiled attack in Cambrils, west of Barcelona. However, late on Friday, Catalan police chief Josep Trapero told local TV that their theory stating Oukabir was the driver now "had less weight".
He is believed to have only rented the vehicle using his brother, Driss Oukabir's, documents to carry out the attacks. Driss had handed himself in to the police following the attacks. Three of the five attackers police shot dead in Cambrils were identified as Said Aallaa, 18, Mohamed Hychami, 24, and Moussa.
All the suspects were found to be planning large-scale attacks in Spain and were building bombs and other explosives in Alcanar. An explosion in a house in Alcanar earlier on Thursday was first thought to be a gas explosion, but police later found it was a bomb factory being used by the terror suspects.
The five suspects were all wearing fake suicide belts when they were killed. Trapero told local media that one officer alone shot dead four of these suspects. The suspects had tried to ram their Audi car into the crowds when the vehicle overturned and they were killed.
Isis had claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, but it was not clear if the attackers received direct instructions from the militant group's members. Abouyaaqoub, 22, lived in the town of Ripoll to the north of Barcelona, where police arrested three suspects on Friday. Another person was arrested the same day in Alcanar, the BBC reported.
Driss was among the three people arrested in Ripoll. He reportedly told police that he was not involved in the attacks, only his documents had been stolen.