St Patrick's Day is celebrated on 17 March across the world to commemorate the death anniversary of the patron saint of Ireland. The day also marks the arrival of Christianity in the country.
Legends about the Irish saint suggest he used the three-leafed shamrock to explain the concept of Trinity — the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The festival is also associated with the leprechaun, a Celtic fairy, the pot of gold and Blarney's stone.
Here are top quotes and Irish blessings to celebrate the Catholic feast day.
Top Irish sayings:
1. There are only two kinds of people in the world, The Irish and those who wish they were.
2. May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks. May your heart be as light as a song. May each day bring you bright, happy hours. That stay with you all the year long.
3. If you're lucky enough to be Irish, then you're lucky enough.
4. An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the earth. — Irish saying
5. The Irish do not want anyone to wish them well; they want everyone to wish their enemies ill.
Top Irish Quotes:
1. "Oh, the music in the air!
An' the joy that's ivrywhere -
Shure, the whole blue vault of heaven is wan grand triumphal arch,
An' the earth below is gay
Wid its tender green th'-day,
Fur the whole world is Irish on the Seventeenth o' March!" — Thomas Augustin Daly
2. "He was a terror to any snake that came in his path, whether it was the cold, slimy reptile sliding along the ground or the more dangerous snake that oppresses men through false teachings. And he drove the snakes out of the minds of men, snakes of superstition and brutality and cruelty." — Arthur Brisbane
3. "St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time - a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic." — Adrienne Cook
4. "If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky? — Stanislaw J. Lec
5. "You've heard I suppose, long ago,
How the snakes, in a manner most antic,
He marched to the county Mayo,
And trundled them into th' Atlantic." — William Maginn
Top Irish blessings:
1. May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light,
May good luck pursue you each morning and night.
2. May luck be our companion
May friends stand by our side
May history remind us all
Of Ireland's faith and pride.
May God bless us with happiness
May love and faith abide.
— Irish Blessing
3. May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
4. May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
5. May you have: A world of wishes at your command. God and his angels close to hand. Friends and family their love to impart, and Irish blessings deep in your heart!