Olympic gymnast Louis Smith has been crowned champion of the tenth season of BBC One's Strictly Come Dancing competition. The 23-year-old, who won silver for Team GB at the London Olympics, was presented with the glitterball trophy by host Sir Bruce Forsyth.
"I can finally say I won something in the year 2012," he said, after Forsyth announced the result.
Smith also praised his partner, professional dancer Flavia Cacace. "She has been an absolute legend," he said, adding: "She is the nicest person I have ever met."
Smith faced stiff competition for the title from actress Dani Harmer, TV presenter Denise Van Outen and Girls Aloud star Kimberley Walsh.
The popular athlete was the bookies' favourite going into the final three dances, including the Charleston, the Salsa and a slow and sensual showdance to Take That's Rule the World. It featured a bold lift and got a perfect score of 40 from the judges - Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Darcey Bussell and Craig Revel.
Goodman said: "When you started, I thought, 'It will be all gymnastics and flip-flops'. [But] that lift... if this show goes on for another 20 years I don't think will see another showdance as magical as that."
An impressed Tonioli also praised him: "The strength of a superhero. You went from another angle; deeply effective and memorable."
Bussell said:"You blew me away. That had grace, fluidity and was sensual. That was brave to do - such a graceful and seamless dance. Very different from anything else I've seen in a showdance."
Though Revel kept his remarks short, he praised the duo's performance and admitted: "I only have two words for that - fab-ulous."
STRICTLY COME DANCING SERIES 10
- Louis Smith and Flavia Cacace - Winners
- Denise van Outen and James Jordan Runner-up
- Kimberley Walsh and Pasha Kovalev Runner-up
- Dani Harmer and Vincent Simone 4th
- Lisa Riley and Robin Windsor 5th
- Nicky Byrne and Karen Hauer 6th
- Michael Vaughan and Natalie Lowe 7th
- Victoria Pendleton and Brendan Cole 8th
- Richard Arnold and Erin Boag 9th
- Fern Britton and Artem Chigvintsev 10th
- Colin Salmon and Kristina Rihanoff 11th
- Sid Owen and Ola Jordan 12th
- Jerry Hall and Anton du Beke 13th
- Johnny Ball and Iveta Lukosiute 14th