Microsoft has released new firmware update for its seconds generation Surface series tablets, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2.
Surface users can manually update their tablets. For that, navigate to Setting, tap Change PC Settings and then tap Update and recovery. Click Check now, if updates are available, tap View details. Now tap to select the updates you wish to install and then click Install. Users might have to restart the tablet once the update is installed.
It should be noted that the firmware update cannot be uninstalled or reverted to the previous firmware.
Firmware Update for Surface 2
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 188.8.131.5219) and Display Driver Set (v 184.108.40.20618). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
In addition to the updates listed above, an additional update for Surface 2 4G LTE is listed:
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28061.10179) and Bluetooth (v14.62.28061.10179) update simplifies and improves tethering for Surface 2 4G LTE.
Firmware update for Surface Pro 2
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v220.127.116.11) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.