AT&T in the US has finally started rolling out the much expected Google Android 5.0.1 (Lollipop) OS update to users of its Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
According to an official listing by AT&T, users of Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 (bearing model number N910A) high-end smartphones should get the Android Lollipop firmware update in the form of a really bulky 1.2GB file via the over-the-air (OTA) mechanism.
As the OS update rollout is currently underway, Galaxy Note 4 users should expect the software update, bearing build number LRX22C.N910AUCU1COC2, to reach them in phases over a period of time.
Galaxy Note 4 users should also note that the latest update is available for download via Wi-Fi only.
Android Lollipop OS update brings with it a plethora of features, apart from updating the firmware in older smartphones. The carrier-specific enhancements with the Lollipop update, applicable to AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphones are:
- Addition of major applications/services such as Find My Mobile and Reactivation lock
- Multiple stability/performance enhancements
Conventional list of new functionality brought along by Android Lollipop:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of 'OK Google' voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to Galaxy Note 4 smartphones.
Download and installation of Android Lollipop within AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 4 handsets:
The latest update will be available via OTA, but if users have not received automatic notifications, then a manual search can be initiated to detect and install the update.
How to update manually
- Connect to an available Wi-Fi network
- From the home screen, pull down the notification bar, and then select Settings
- Navigate to and choose About device
- Select Software update
- Tap Check for updates
- Status message: Software update process will not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?
- Choose OK
- Tap Continue after the update download status message is received
- The device initiates software update download
- The device automatically restarts post downloading of the update
- Status Message: The software has been successfully installed. Your phone is now ready to use
- Select Done
Verification of latest software update:
From the home key, press the Menu key and navigate to Settings > About device. The following technical aspects about your smartphone are displayed:
- Android version: 5.0.1
- Baseband Version: N910AUCU1COC2
- Kernel Version: 3.10.40-4160876dpi@SWDD6014#1
- Build Number: LRX22C.N910AUCU1COC2