WiFi
Jenny Fry sufered from a rare Wi-Fi allergy, called electro-hypersensitivityFlickr/Sunil Soundarapandian

Oxfordshire schoolgirl Jenny Fry was found after she hanged herself from a tree because she could no longer stand the rare Wi-Fi allergy – known as electro-hypersensitivity – that caused debilitating migranes, fatigue and bladder problems. The 15-year-old was allergic to the wireless internet network around her school, an inquest into her death has found after her body was discovered in Brooke Woods near her home in Chadlington, Oxfordshire, in June.

Jenny's parents Debra and Charles Newman told the Coroner they had removed the WiFi from their own home because of Jenny's illness but she had continued to experience symptoms at her school in Chipping Norton, the Mirror reported. Mrs Fry told the coroner: "Jenny was getting ill and so was I. I did some research and found how dangerous Wi-Fi could be so I had it taken out of the house. Both Jenny and I were fine at home but Jenny continued to be ill at school in certain areas.

"She was receiving lots of detentions, not for being disruptive in class or misbehaving, but often because she used to take herself out of the classroom to find another where she was able to work. She took her schoolwork seriously. I took lots of information into school to show the headteacher, Simon Duffy, but he said there was equally the same information available claiming Wi-Fi was safe. I also had a heated exchange with teachers telling them Jenny was allergic to Wi-Fi and that it made no sense making her take detentions in rooms that were making her ill."

Recording a narrative verdict, Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter said that because of texts Jenny sent to friend prior to her suicide there was not enough proof to suggest Jenny intended to take her own life. There were also no medical notes to prove she suffered from EHS.

  • For confidential support call the Samaritans on 116 123 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see www.samaritans.org for details.