ParanoidAndroid based Jelly Bean update is becoming increasingly popular, thanks to the overwhelming demand for Phablet based User Interface (UI). The increasingly larger screen size of smartphones has paved the way for a hybrid interface (tablet and phone UI), which allows optimised usage of screen-space on phones in order to accommodate bigger and more icons in a smaller space.
Thanks to XDA senior member thebz1, ParanoidAndroid ROM brings Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for T-Mobile Galaxy S3. The S3 users can now enjoy the goodness of the latest Android version onboard together with the rich Phablet interface. But the ROM may not be fully functional and contain a few bugs, as it is not an official version.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 T999 model only and will not work with US variants or other devices. You can verify your device's model number through Settings > About phone.
- This procedure will wipe out all your personal data including apps and settings. IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS and APNs) to avoid data loss while installing this Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to preinstall ClockworkMod recovery on your Galaxy S3 device, before attempting to install the ParanoidAndroid ROM for Jelly Bean update on it.
How to Install ParanoidAndroid Based Jelly Bean Update on T-Mobile Galaxy S3
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
2. Download the Google Apps package here.
3. Without extracting, just copy the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card.
4. Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by performing a button sequence. First, power off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen powers on, then release them. The phone will now boot into ClockworkMod recovery in just a few seconds. Once you enter the recovery mode, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something fails to work with the new ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore. Then, on the next screen, select Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
6. Select wipe data/factory reset, then tap Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process is complete.
7. Select install zip from sdcard, then hit choose zip from sdcard. Browse and locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
8. Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. After the Google apps package is also installed, select go back then hit reboot system now to reboot the phone into ParanoidAndroid ROM.
NOTE: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
ParanoidAndroid ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3.
[Source: The Android Soul]