A storm is any disturbed state of an astronomical body's atmosphere, especially affecting its surface, and strongly implying severe weather. It may be marked by strong wind, thunder and lightning (a thunderstorm), heavy precipitation, such as ice (ice storm), or wind transporting some substance through the atmosphere (as in a dust storm, snowstorm, hailstorm, etc).
Storms are created when a center of low pressure develops, with a system of high pressure surrounding it. This combination of opposing forces can create winds and result in the formation of storm clouds, such as the cumulonimbus. Small, localized areas of low pressure can form from hot air rising off hot ground, resulting in smaller disturbances such as dust devils and whirlwinds.
- Masters 2014: Bubba Watson Wins Second Green Jacket in Three Years
- Android 4.4.3 Running on Nexus 5 Leaked [Screenshot]
- F1 Chinese GP 2014: Where to Watch Race Live and Preview
- Facebook: New Feature Will Allow Friends to Pinpoint Location When You Are Nearby
- HMRC to Sell UK Taxpayers' Data to Private Firms