A storm is any disturbed state of an astronomical body's atmosphere, especially affecting its surface, and strongly implying severe weather. It may be marked by strong wind, thunder and lightning (a thunderstorm), heavy precipitation, such as ice (ice storm), or wind transporting some substance through the atmosphere (as in a dust storm, snowstorm, hailstorm, etc).
Storms are created when a center of low pressure develops, with a system of high pressure surrounding it. This combination of opposing forces can create winds and result in the formation of storm clouds, such as the cumulonimbus. Small, localized areas of low pressure can form from hot air rising off hot ground, resulting in smaller disturbances such as dust devils and whirlwinds.
- Kate Middleton's Happy Family Shots Spark Royal Privacy Invasion Row
- US: Accused Killer Jeffrey Chapman Wants 'Murder' Neck Tattoo Removed Before Trial
- Earth Day 2014: Nasa Launches Global Selfie Campaign to Create 'Mosaic Image' of Planet
- Russian Facebook VK Under 'Complete Control' of Putin's Allies
- Manchester United Scores Sponsors Despite Moyes Sacking and Dismal Season