We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Tottenham's chances of signing highly-rated Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi appear to have been permanently scuppered after the player put pen to paper on an improved contract. L'OM announced on Wednesday 6 January that Batshuayi has extended his stay at the Stade Velodrome until 2020.
"This Wednesday, January 6, 2016, Benjamin Mendy and Michy Batshuayi extended their contracts with Olympique de Marseille," read an official statement released by the French club.
"The defender (Mendy) is now linked to the most successful French club until 2019. The striker (Batshuayi), already the scorer of 32 goals in an OM jersey, until 2020. Both players have signed their new commitment alongside president Vincent Labrune."
Responding to the news on Twitter, a content Batshuayi said: "Very happy to prolong the adventure with the @OM_Officiel."
Tottenham are not expected to invest heavily in new additions during the current transfer window after an impressive first half of the 2015/16 season that has seen the club rise to fourth in the Premier League after suffering just two losses. Despite that, a new striker could well be on the agenda for Mauricio Pochettino as he looks to provide support for Harry Kane. Summer arrival Clinton Njie is currently sidelined after undergoing surgery to fix knee ligament damage sustained on Europa League duty in December.
While The Mail previously revealed that Tottenham have dispatched scouts to watch Batshuayi on more than one occasion, the chances of completing a deal in January already appeared remote. The former Standard Liege forward has scored 14 goals in all competitions this season and on Monday (4 January) Marseille boss Michel insisted that he would not be allowed to depart.
"You want to kill me! I don't think about Michy leaving," he told Maxifoot. "If we're going to sign anyone it will be an addition not a replacement."
Newcastle are thought to have been among Batshuayi's other suitors, although The Chronicle have previously stated that they would have likely been reluctant to spend the £21m ($30.6m) necessary to obtain his services. Fresh reports this week claim that the relegation candidates have made an ambitious £18.3m offer to capture Alexandre Lacazette, although Sky Sports now suggest that such a bid was never tabled due to Lyon's reluctance to part with their top scorer.